Sunday, June 6, 2010

Reflecting back a year Part 1.....Part 2 Below






It's funny the difference a year can make in your life. I was going back through saved pictures on my old computer and memories started flooding back. Some good, some not so good, but all reminders of my life a year ago in some way.

A year ago this week my daughter and I were preparing for an antique show in Burton Ohio. I remember emailing a friend in Florida some pictures of our tent and a silly short story to go with it, "How Two Girls Put Up a Tent" (with no help).

I'm not talking a small tent, I'm talking a BIG "Event Tent" which is 20ft. By 22ft. Yep, my daughter and I can put it up by ourselves! I've learned never depend on anyone but yourself to get a job done. Why, because no one cares like you do.

First picture is our nicely packed tent in our SUV. I have pastel painted galvanized concrete pails to hold it down, works wonders. We first put the tent top frame together, after a couple of times we decided to mark the poles, so much faster!

My daughter and I put the top of the tent frame together and then we put the on top on the frame. My daughter secures the top to the frame, she is much more flexible than me, half the size of me and half my age! She gets the ground work lol!

We lay the legs out and I lift the tent top and she gets two legs standing on both sides of me. I know, your thinking...sure, two girls by themselves? You betcha!

Then I go to the other side of the tent and pick up the top while fast paced half sized daughter adds two more legs posts...then it's all downhill from there. We get the other posts in place and then we attach each side wall.

I love our tent as it has arched windows and I can drop the inside curtain for privacy. We have the only tent with double peaked tops. Whoa lala, under an hour the tent is up, we pat each other on the back and go home for the night.

So, this is the week we "raise the tent". We'll set it up Friday morning and start filling it with treasures. The antique show is on Saturday. Come on down if your in town! I'll be in spot B-36. Bingo! Believe me, after the all day crowds, by 5pm we're ready to pack what doesn't sell and head home.

Check out the pictures of our "tent raising". These photos were taken at the Geauga County Fairgrounds last year.

Part 2; What goes in that tent?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie ~ I have to agree... if you want it done right,do it yourself.

Patricia said...

I don't find it hard to believe at all that two women can raise that tent in under an hour, organization and planning. WTG Ladies!
Pat
Patricia Rose-A Potpourri of Fabric, Fragrance and Findings
www.patriciarose-apotpourri.com
www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com

Post a Comment